Faster than Command+Tabbing? Only one way to find out
A new MacBook Pro Touch Bar-oriented app called TouchSwitcher is now available for free download. The app’s premise is simple: it allows you to quickly bring to focus any running app via a tap of the app’s icon displayed in the Touch Bar.
Use this Touch Bar utility to launch and switch between apps on the new MacBook Pro. The most recent apps are right next to the TouchSwitcher icon. Juggling several apps is fast and easy. Forget the Dock and tap on app icons directly.
If you use Cmd (⌘) + Tab a lot, then this is basically a replacement for that keyboard shortcut. Although, the advantage here is that TouchSwitcher provides direct access to the app of your choosing.
If you have a lot of running apps, you can swipe the Touch Bar area to see all of your apps. A tap of the ‘x’ button on the left side of the Touch Bar will take you back to whatever app function you were using previously.
TouchSwitcher is available now as a free download from https://hazeover.com/touchswitcher.html.
Note: Only one custom control can be shown in the Control Strip. Use the keyboard shortcut to bring back TouchSwitcher icon if other apps (like Safari, iTunes or Xcode) displace it. This means that if you listen to any music, or watch any videos via Safari, then the TouchSwitcher app may be superseded by media controls and vice versa. Users will have to relaunch TouchSwitcher to get the app switching feature back in the Touch Bar.
How to Use
- Tap TouchSwitcher icon in the system Control Strip to show the app list. You can also use customizable Option + 9
- Swipe left to show and launch favorite
- Press and Holdor Control-Tap an app icon to show additional commands: Hide, quit, or mark an app as favorite.
- Shift-Tapapp icons to quickly hide multiple apps.
- Option-Tapapp icons to quickly quit multiple apps.
- Option-TapTouchSwitcher icon or tap a Gear icon to show Settings: Change the shortcut, quit TouchSwitcher or set per-app overrides.
- Click “Touch Bar Settings…”button to force showing F1, F2, etc. keys for certain apps.
- Press and hold TouchSwitcher icon in the Touch Bar to hide